Friday, June 22, 2012
Before people once again pass judgment on whether Woody Allen's relationship was or is appropriate, they should consider these facts:
1. Woody and Mia lived in separate apartments throughout their relationship.
2. Soon-yi's last name is Previn, and her father is conductor Andre Previn.
3. Woody Allen wrote, directed and starred in one film a year throughout most of his career. As any filmmaker can tell you, that doesn't leave much time for family obligations.
4. Woody Allen and Soon-yi have been together for more than 20 years and have been married since 1997. Their relationship has stood the test of time, and is evidently mutually satisfying.
5. Woody Allen and Soon-yi have adopted children of their own. They have obviously passed any required psychological screenings and home visits and are deemed to be able to provide nurture and support to children.
I remember reading that Soon-yi is somehow intellectually impaired. I now think this may be disinformation purposely put out during Woody Allen's bitter custody battle with Mia Farrow, because Soon-yi has a masters degree from Columbia University. Speaking of intelligence, Ronan is considered a child prodigy, a Rhodes scholar who graduated from law school at the age of 21, and now works under Hillary Clinton in the States Department. Given the growing evidence that intelligence is inherited, Mr. Farrow should be thankful for the genes passed on to him by his father (because, let's face it, even though Mia Farrow is a terrific actress, a well respected humanitarian and a great mother who raised 9 kids, Woody Allen is a genius), instead of bearing a grudge for 20 years. At the very least, it might save him a ton in shrink bills.