Monday, October 26, 2009

When you believe



I've been listening to this song a lot lately, probably because I'm waiting for a miracle in my life. I know of three versions of this song: the original by Mariah and Whitney, while American Idol winner David Archuleta and X-Factor winner Leon Jackson both covered it on their debut albums after performing it on their respective shows. It's easy to see why the song gets sung at talent shows, not only because of its lyrics about believing in miracles, but also because it offers great opportunity to show off vocal skills.

For some reason Leon Jackon's version toned down the theistic nature of the song, and even has a verse that says "If we dare to dare, don't wait for answers from the skies." For me, I think miracles with a small "m" can happen if you prayed. Not sure about big cataclysmic miracles that break the laws of nature, but every day miracles, like finding love against all probability. There can be miracles when you believe.

No comments: